Crazy Croatians

Sunday, November 23, 2014

Doing A Little Wiring

   I'll be getting a "new" PC in a couple days & I'm gonna be hard wiring the ethernet connection to it (as opposed to using wifi, which is a good bit slower & which is why I rather do this - a 15 to 20 mbps speed compared to 60 to 70 mbps, not much of a comparison really).
   In wiring the ethernet I'll be passing the cat5 cable thru the hallway wall & into my closet. To do this I'll be using a wall plate I got today from Home Depot. I learned after buying it that this particular item has plagued many people when installing it because of 2 things: it comes with no instructions & because the color coding doesn't match the colors of the wires within the cat5. 
   Fortunately I found some helpful data on this item that I hope will work when I wire up my system. I've collected this information and created a wiring diagram of sorts for anyone else who happens to use this item from Home Depot. (And I'll update later on if my wiring actually works).
UPDATE: Dec 2: Well, in installing the faceplate I decided to do it the easiest way possible and bypass the difficult part altogether. What I did was to snap off the cat5 connector block on the back of the CE TECH faceplate, leaving a hole for the cable to pass thru. Doing this there was no need to cut the cable, expose the wires, connect the wires to the terminal screws, etc. So the problems associated with all of that was eliminated. All I needed to do was to enlarge the square hole just a bit to allow the cat5 end connection to fit thru. The coax cable was connected as in the previous setup, I ran the cat5 cable thru the wall into my closet & into my room and over to my PC. I attached the faceplate to the wall & I was done! It may not have ended up how I originally intended, but it functions and looks fine. And the cat5 connection block is sitting in a drawer if I need it later, lol.



No comments :

Post a Comment