Crazy Croatians

Saturday, June 14, 2014

A Brave New Stadium

    I've been an Atlanta Braves fan since the early 90s when a friend who was already a fan introduced me to his love of baseball. From then I've watched the game on TV and in person, major league, minor league & college games. And I'd have to say that the sport is my favorite to watch and attend-more so than football, basketball, tennis, etc. Even though its popularity as our 'national pastime' has waned a bit & it is actually listed second in the number of fans in America (According to the 2013 Harris Poll, the six sports with most fans are American football (46%), baseball (14%), basketball (10%), auto racing (7%), ice hockey (5%) and tennis (3%).  In the 1985 poll, 31% of fans preferred football, 23% baseball, 12% basketball, 5% auto racing and 5% tennis).
    Advocates of baseball point to the overwhelming number of baseball tickets sold annually in the United States and Canada, compared to NFL football. It is likely that the average American sports fan will attend many more major league baseball games than NFL football games in his or her lifetime, due in part to baseball's longer schedule and football's (generally) higher ticket prices. This is very true in my regard as I've personally attended dozens of MLB games. Meanwhile, I've only ever been to one NFL game and one NBA game. I've never been to a NHL game. I have been to two or three pro tennis tournaments. The ticket prices for NFL & NBA games are much higher than MLB games, and to me the experience of going to a baseball game is just so much better. I doubt that I'll ever go to an NHL game, so lets not include that, NBA sucks (even on TV), NFL isn't worth going to in person, though I do like watching some of the games on TV (however, this is reserved usually only for the Superbowl game-regular season & playoffs don;t interest me)-I actually find college football much more interesting, esp. SEC football, like games Alabama & Auburn are playing, But I love watching & attending baseball games be they college or pro level. And I esp. love to watch my Braves play any other team. Lately I've not been able to see them too much as the TV provider & package I have doesn't carry the Braves games, so I only get a few of them during the season.
    In a couple years the Braves will be moving into a new stadium north of Atlanta in Cobb county. You can get the details on this website:
http://www.ballparksofbaseball.com/future/BravesBallpark.htm
    My friend and I have long gone to see the Braves at Fulton County where Hank Aaron became famous for his home runs, so having them move away will be sad, but it looks like their new home will be a pretty special place. Lets hope so. I'd hate to see their popularity falter because of this move.

No comments :

Post a Comment