Crazy Croatians

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Ice Is Nice

    Ever wonder how they make money selling ice? I have. Of course everyone's seen the ice freezers at gas stations, grocery stores & Walmarts that hold ice bags people can buy for about $2.50 or so. And I guess they must make some money with them or they wouldn't bother doing it. But what I'm talking about are the stand alone ice houses that generate, produce and bag fresh ice for walk-up customers. You see them usually in more rural areas, like places outside the big cities, like maybe in smaller towns or out in the country. Places away from the more wealthy residential areas it seems. At least that's where they seem to be around where I've seen them here in Alabama. And I've always wondered how they made money. 
   It costs money to: put the ice house somewhere, put it in operation, keep it running (power, maintenance, servicing, collecting money, etc.), what have you. I just have trouble seeing a profit in this. But, maybe they can make money. According to a few web sites there may be money to be had from them. After reviewing their information I'd still wonder how much I'd really make - only giving it a try in a practical application would really answer that question I suppose because you never really know for sure how it would turn out. Their projections look good - but you can't predict the future, especially with something like this. If you had the funds to get an ice house going somewhere and were willing to keep it going long enough I would assume that in the long run (like in 5 years or more) you might start to see a profit out of it. I guess in that way it's like a lot of other businesses that have high start-up costs and take several years to get your investment back out to then start making some money.
http://grandeice.com/index.html
http://www.icehouseamerica.com/

No comments :

Post a Comment